UPDATE: We received a used Brown Stair (along with a Pink Tower and some other great items) as a donation from the Western Pennsylvania Montessori School! Big thanks to them! We’re still looking for the knobbed cylinders, however…
We have two very specific needs right now: knobbed cylinders and brown stairs.
The kids are moving through the materials we have at present and the first phases of practical life are well in hand in this first year.
What we need now are more materials for sensorial learning. The knobbed cylinders ($162) and brown stairs ($84) are some of the more compelling sensorial materials.
The knobbed cylinders come in a set of four racks. Each rack helps the child to learn to distinguish a different type of change. Take a look at the photo.
- In the first rack, the cylinders change in height, but not diameter.
- In the second, they change in diameter, but not height.
- In the third, they increase in diameter while decreasing in height.
- And in the fourth, they increase in both height and diameter.
Children begin to understand concepts of mathematics, and manipulating the cylinders will help with writing.
The other item is the brown stairs.
This isn’t something to help them learn to walk more steadily. The brown stairs is a set of ten gradually-larger blocks that help children understand size relations, as well as weight and balance.
The blocks are all 20 centimeters wide, the smallest is one centimeter tall and one centimeter deep. Each subsequent block gets larger by one centimeter in both height and depth. Take a look at the photo:
Anyone willing to make these possible for the kids can do one of two things:
- Make a contribution for the amount of the item: $162 for the knobbed cylinders, $84 for the brown stairs (these prices include shipping and handling), and earmark the purpose. You can make a contribution here »
- Purchase the item or items yourself and have them shipped to us.
In either case, since we are a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, we will send you the proper documentation for your tax purposes.
We’ll also send up prayers of thanksgiving for you.